Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Old Dominion Firestopping provided firestopping at mechanical and plumbing through-penetrations on the 165,000-square-foot, five-story expansion which nearly doubled the museum’s gallery space. The new wing re-oriented the entrance to the street, in addition to reopening the original 1936 entrance. The focal point of the expansion is a new three-story atrium with a 40-foot tall glass wall, which connects the new building with two existing wings and opens onto a new library, museum shop, café and galleries. Its glass roof allows natural light to this central area and surrounding spaces.
Completed in 2010, the project finished on time with zero injuries. Old Dominion Firestopping contracted with Atlantic Constructors to perform the work. Whiting Turner was the general contractor.